Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Hyalase?
Hyalase (Hyaluronidase) is an enzyme which is injected into the area of concern and degrades hyaluronic acid, removing any unsightly lumps, bumps or unwanted results.
What Happens During My First Consultation and Treatment?
During your face-to-face consultation with one of our experienced nurse prescribers, Hyalase will be explained to you and an assessment will be carried out. The potential risks and side effects will be discussed with you, to ensure that you understand and are able to make an informed decision. We will need information on your medical history and will need to know any medications that you are taking, both prescribed and over the counter. You will then be required to read and sign a consent form, and photographs will be taken of your face and the treatment area, all of which will be stored on your file for future reference. Please arrive at your appointment with minimal makeup as the treatment area will need to be thoroughly cleansed. A patch test will be performed to check for allergic reaction. Following a satisfactory outcome of the patch test, hyalase will be injected into the affected area. The treatment area will be thoroughly cleansed and aftercare instructions will be discussed with you. You will be required to remain in the clinic for a further 60 minutes.
What Should I Do Before Treatment?
Your practitioner will have discussed this with you at your face-to-face consultation, but in case you forget:
- We advise that you abstain from alcohol for 24 hours.
- If you are taking any medications, prescribed or over the counter, ensure you have discussed them with us.
- If you are currently taking anticoagulant therapy ensure you have discussed this with us.
- Arrive with minimal makeup.
What Should / Shouldn’t I Do After My Treatment?
- Immediately after treatment you will be advised not to rub or touch the treated areas for 24 hours.
- There may be bruising, swelling and tenderness after your treatment. This is normal and can take several days to settle. Arnica cream or gel can be applied to any bruised areas.
- You must not apply makeup for 24 hours.
- Do not perform strenuous exercise for 24 hours.
- Avoid hot baths for 24 hours.
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours.
- We provide an out of hours telephone number for you to contact in the rare event that something doesn’t feel right or if you have any concerns.
Are Results Immediate?
Hyalase will start to work instantly. However best results will be seen 48 hours after treatment. If you plan to have further dermal filler injected, you will be required to wait for 2 weeks.
Am I Numbed Prior to Any Injections and Is It Painful?
For the lips it is possible to have either numbing cream or a dental block. The options will be discussed with you at your consultation. For other treatment areas, the procedure is relatively pain free and does not require numbing.