Frequently Asked Questions
What Happens During My First Consultation and Treatment?
Prior to the commencement of any microneedling treatment a full face-to-face assessment will be carried out by one of our nurse prescribers to ensure that this treatment is suitable for your needs. This assessment gives your practitioner an opportunity to explain the treatment in detail, along with anticipated outcomes and a general timeline for the expected results. This assessment is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have. At the end of the consultation you have the choice either to go away and think about what was discussed or consent to treatment.
Following consent to treatment, any makeup or moisturiser/spf will be removed from the skin and numbing cream will be applied for 30-45 minutes. Once the face/area to be treated is suitably numb, the skin will be cleansed again prior to the microneedling treatment. The microneedling treatment takes around 30 minutes, during which time, small areas of the face will be treated in sequence to ensure that the best results are achieved.
Once the microneedling part of the treatment is finished, the skin will be cleaned and post-procedure gel applied to the skin to prevent the skin from drying out. Aftercare will be discussed with you before you leave the clinic and you will be provided with Skinfuse Rescue Calming Complex to apply the next day, before going back to your normal skincare routine 48 hours after treatment.
What Should I Do Before Treatment?
- Thoroughly remove all makeup prior to treatment.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure for 24 hours. Any sunburn must have fully settled.
- Avoid shaving on the day of treatment. Shave the night before to ensure better results.
- Discontinue topical retinoids 24-72 hours prior to procedure.
What Should / Shouldn’t I Do After My Treatment?
Following your microneedling treatment:
- Use only the HG lift and Rescue serum provided for the next 24 hours. Using any other skin care during this time is likely to increase inflammation and may hinder the skin's ability to heal. The face may be washed with warm water.
- Keep out of the sun on the day of treatment and for the following 24 hours.
- Use SPF 50 and keep out of the sun to maximise long term results.
- Use a clean pillowcase and towel, and ensure that your mobile phone is clean, to reduce the risk of skin infection.
- Don’t touch the skin unnecessarily following treatment to avoid any risk of skin infection.
- Do not apply makeup for 24 hours post treatment.
- Avoid swimming and chlorinated water for 4-5 days after treatment.
- Avoid other clinical treatments for 1-4 weeks. Speak to your practitioner for advice.
- Do not shave or use aftershave products for 12-48 hours following treatment.
- Do not allow pets to lick the treatment area to avoid the risk of infection.
- Do speak to your practitioner if you have any concerns in the days after treatment.
Do I Need to Come for a Review / Follow up Appointment?
Review appointments are not usually necessary following a microneedling treatment. Courses of 3 or 6 treatments are advisable with a gap of four weeks between treatments for best results.
What Can I Expect After My Treatment?
Immediately following a microneedling treatment your face will be red, not dissimilar to sunburn, the face will also feel hot, tighter and possibly tender. Some people will experience mild to moderate swelling during the first few hours following treatment. Areas of pigmentation which have been treated may look darker initially- this is a normal response. On day two following treatment, some redness and inflammation may still be present, but this should now be diminishing. After a few days once any inflammation has subsided, tissue proliferation starts to occur and the dermal thickness increases. You may also develop a fine layer of skin peeling. The final phase of recovery occurs over several months thereafter. During this stage there is an increase in collagen and elastin which improves the epidermal/dermal thickness. Scar tissue is also reduced.
Why Use Skinpen Precision?
SkinPen Precision was the first globally approved microneedling device and has met over 90 validated requirements in order to receive FDA approval in the United States of America. Unlike other microneedling, dermal roller and home roller devices which have been shown to create unnecessary and potentially negative trauma to the skin, SkinPen Precision delivers 98,000 microchannels in the skin per minute. Skinpen Precision is the first completely sealed device available and incorporates a protective Bio-Sheath which covers the entire device during use. These design features prevent fluid intake and cross contamination between use on patients.
What Skin Concerns Is Microneedling Used For?
SkinPen Precision is used to treat a number of skin issues including
- Fine lines and wrinkles on the face, neck and décolletage.
- Aged skin
- Acne scarring of varying degrees of severity.
- Sun-damaged skin.
- Stretch marks.
- Tired and dull looking skin.
- Oversized pores and thickened areas of skin.
Is Microneedling Safe?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive treatment requiring little downtime. Mild redness, sensitivity and irritation will be experienced for 3-4 days following treatment. Microneedling is not deemed safe, however, for people who are pregnant or using certain acne medications (roaccutane/isotretinoin). Other people not suitable for treatment include those with bleeding disorders, current skin infections, active breakouts/inflammation or open wounds/sores. If you are unsure, please speak to one of our nurse practitioners.
How Does Microneedling Help With Scarring?
The wound healing process is initiated when thousands of micro-channels are delivered into the epidermis and dermis of the skin. During this process, the body begins to naturally break down damaged and scarred tissue, before replacing this with healthy new cells. The new skin cells produce new, organised collagen and elastin, ultimately remodelling the old, injured tissue. On average 3-6 individual treatments, each 4 weeks apart, will be required when tackling scarred tissue.
Does Skinpen Microneedling Hurt?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure which targets the epidermis and dermis of the skin and is usually very tolerable. Numbing cream is applied to the entire face prior to the treatment to reduce any discomfort experienced. Nerves and blood vessels are found in the subcutaneous and deeper layers of the face and so should not be affected by the microneedling treatment. Discomfort levels vary between individuals and some people may find more bony areas (forehead and jawline for example) slightly uncomfortable. The depth of the microneedling treatment can be adjusted if necessary to accommodate any discomfort.
How Long After Treatments Can I Expect to See Results?
In the days following a SkinPen microneedling treatment your skin will feel tighter and appear brighter, softer and more youthful but the results do not stop there. It may take several weeks of tissue proliferation and remodelling for the maximum skin tightening and pigmentation reduction. Scientific investigation has shown that up to 400% more collagen may be produced following a course of treatments. This process can occur over the following 300 days. One individual microneedling treatment may be enough to refresh your skin and give it the lift it needs, though three to six sessions, four weeks apart are recommended depending on the requirements of your skin.
Option of Additional Bolt-Ons to Further Enhance Recovery & Results.
Individual SkinPen Precision treatments are priced at £169. Courses of 3 and 6 treatments are discounted. All treatments come with standard aftercare serums for use during the first 48 hours.
You also have the option to add mesotherapy skin rejuvenating cocktails to your procedure as an additional bolt-on to assist in the recovery process and boost the end results. Choose from:
Cliniccare Egf Glow - Mesotherapy Skin Rejuvenating Cocktail With an Anti-Pigmentation and Anti-Ageing Effect.
The CLINICCARE EGF Glow mesotherapy cocktail contains a mixture of anti-pigmentation, hydrating, firming, tightening and antioxidant ingredients to eliminate uneven skin tone (such as age spots, melasma and sun damage), and to restore moisture and firmness caused by the degradation of native hyaluronic acid and collagen fibres.
- Cliniccare mesotherapy offers fast-acting relief for pigmented and dehydrated skin
- Provides long-lasting hydration
- Suitable for hyperpigmented skin with or without wrinkles
Main active ingredients:
- Hyaluronic Acid 2% (Low Molecular Weight) – for its deep moisturising effect
- Arbutin 2% - treats uneven skin tone and has an anti-pigmentation effect
- Hexapeptide-8 (Argireline)1% - lifting, tightening and anti-wrinkle effect. Provides a Botox like effect
- Panax Ginseng 1% - strengthens the skin, and benefits its barrier functions
- Ascorbic Acid - a strong antioxidant that slows the rate of free-radical damage
- Human Oligopeptide-1 / EGF - encourages tissue regeneration
- Palmitoyl Oligopeptide - increases collagen and hyaluronic acid levels in the skin
Cliniccare Mesotherapy Skin Rejuvenating Cocktail With an Intensive Anti-Wrinkle and Lifting Effect.
The EGF TIGHT mesotherapy cocktail by CLINICCARE has a mixture of skin rejuvenating, hydrating, firming, tightening and antioxidant ingredients to restore moisture and firmness caused by the degradation of native hyaluronic acid and collagen fibres.
- Cliniccare EGF Tight offers a fast-acting soothing, skin rejuvenating, anti-wrinkle and tightening effect
- Mimics Botox effect via muscular relaxation
- Provides long-lasting hydration
- Suitable for all skin types
Main active ingredients:
- Hyaluronic Acid 2% (has a deep moisturising effect)
- Hexapeptide-8 (Argireline) 1% (lifting, tightening and anti-wrinkle effect. Provides a Botox-like effect)
- DMAE 1% (strong anti-wrinkle and smoothing effect)
- Panax Ginseng 1% (strengthens the skin, and benefits its barrier functions)
- Ascorbic Acid (strong antioxidant that slows the rate of free-radical damage)
- Human Oligopeptide-1 / EGF (encourages tissue regeneration)
- Palmitoyl Oligopeptide (increases collagen and hyaluronic acid levels)